Events(final) TLS - Slovak Writer's Tour (1)
- Launch of Balla’s In the Name of the Father and the anthology Into the Spotlight at Waterstones Piccadilly, London and at Sheffield University, May 2017
- Launch of The Equestrienne in London (Waterstones Piccadilly and Slovak Embassy) and Cardiff, October 2016
- On 12 April 2016 Julia Sherwood participated in panel on Non-native Translation as part of the Literary Translation Centre at the London Book Fair.
- In March 2016 Julia Sherwood accompanied Polish author Hubert Klimko-Dobrzaniecki on a tour promoting Lullaby for a Hanged Man in the US (Boston, New York and Chapel Hill).
- The Role of Literary Journals in Showcasing Translated Literature
On 15 April 2015 Julia participated in a Literary Translation Centre panel at the London Book Fair
- Not Necessarily About Politics – introducing the Czech issue of Words without Borders with the Czech Centre London, Susan Harris and Alex Zucker at the Betsey Trotwood pub in London Clerkenwell, 14 March 2015; photos
- Launch of The House of the Deaf Man at the Slovak Embassy in London, October 2014
- Launch of the Slovak translation of Hubert Klimko-Dobrzaniecki’s Kołysanka dla wisielca (Uspávanka pre obesenca) at Artforum Bookshop in Bratislava, March 2013
Lit_Cast Slovakia – Julia Sherwood’s interviews on Slovak literature recorded for the Slovak Centre for Information on Literature
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #30 with Julia Sherwood
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #29 with publisher Martin Janeček
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #28 with writer and translator Tomáš Hučko
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #27 with writer Monika Kompaníková
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #26 with translator Tünde Mészáros
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #25 with translator and scholar David Short
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #24 with literature scholar and translator Peter Petro
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #23 with literature scholar Ivana Hostová
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #22 with literary organiser Éva Karádi
- Lit Cast_Slovakia #21 with writer and journalist Irena Brežná
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #20 with translator and theatre director Katarzyna Dudzic-Grabińska
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #19 with literary critic Peter F. ‘Rius Jílek
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #18 with literature scholar Ivana Taranenková
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #17 writer Mária Modrovich
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #16 with writer and translator Lucia Duero
- Lit_cast Slovakia #15 with translator John Minahane
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #14 with translation studies scholar Ľudmila Pánisová
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #13 with German to Slovak translator Marie-Theres Cermann
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #12 with Lutheran pastor, publisher and blogger Sarah Hinlicky Wilson
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #11 with poet Mária Ferenčuhová
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #10 with poet and translator James Sutherland Smith
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #9 with theatre and translation studies scholar Nataša Ďurovičová
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #8 with writer and journalist Michael Stein
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #7 with literature scholar Katarína Gephardt
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #6 with translator Jonathan Gresty
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #5 with world traveller and translator Janet Livingstone
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #4 with literature scholar and translator Charles Sabatos
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #3 – with translator Magdalena Mullek
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #2 with Czech and Slovak literature scholar Rajendra Chitnis
- Lit_Cast Slovakia #1 with literature scholar, translator and publisher Donald Rayfield
- Thoroughly Mainstream or Decidedly Alternative: An interview with František Malík on Asymptote blog, 16 December 2021
- An interview with Tomasz Zaród, head of the publishing house Książkowe klimaty, 17 May 2021
- Raising the Profile of Slovak Translation: An interview with the founders of DoSlov on Asymptote blog, 22 March 2021
A Czech Dreambook: Gerald Turner on Translating Ludvík Vaculík. An interview on Asymptote blog, 7 May 2020
Riveting Reviews: in conversation with Rosie Goldsmith and West Camel on Asymptote blog, 9 April 2020
- Riveting Reviews Slovak Special. Introduction by Julia Sherwood, October 2019
- “Thirst for a Deeper Understanding.” An interview with the founders of Absynt”, Asymptote blog, 17 July 2019
- Multilingual Carpathians, in conversation with Weronika Gogola Asymptote blog, 30 January 2019.
- The European Literature Days 2018. Highlights and Reflections. Asymptote blog, 24 December 2018.
- Slovak Eurostars shine in London, a summary of Slovak literary events in May 2017, written by Julia Sherwood for the EurolitNetwork, 3 July 2017.
- Weekly Dispatches from the Frontlines of Literature on Asymptote blog: news from Slovakia (22 April 2022, 21 January 2022, 10 September 2021, 28 May 2021, 12 March 2021, 16 October 2020, 22 May 2020, 17 January 2020, 12 July 2019, 29 March 2019, 12 October 2018, 8 June 2018, 23 February 2018, 17 November 2017, 8 September 2017, 26 May 2017, 17 February 2017, 25 November 2016 23 September 2016) the Czech Republic (18 February 2022, 12 November 2021, 6 August 2021, 30 April 2021, 22 January 2021, 31 July 2020, 10 April 2020, 11 October 2019, 21 June 2019, 24 August 2018, 11 May 2018, 26 January 2018, 3 November 2017, 9 June 2017, 31 March 2017, 13 January 2017, 7 October 2016, ), the UK (24 March 2017, 21 October 2016) and Poland (11 March 2022, 22 October 2021, 2 July 2021, 2 April 2021, 6 November 2020, 5 June 2020, 21 February 2020, 30 August 2019, 3 May 2019, 16 November 2018, 30 March 2018, 8 December 2017, 6 October 2017, 4 August 2017, 24 March 2017), Austria (10 December 2021, 18 December 2020)
- Fear is Everywhere. A dispatch from the 2017 European Literature Days on Asymptote blog, 7 December 2018.
- Ten books by Czech Women We’d Like to See in English, compiled by Julia Sherwood and Alex Zucker, Literary Hub, 11 May 2017
- On Contemporary Russian Theatre, interview with Noah Birksted-Breen on Asymptote blog, 12 April 2017
- Ten Slovak Women Writers We’d Like To See in English, compiled and edited by Julia Sherwood, Literary Hub, 27 March 2017
- On Multilingualism, Translation and Contemporary Literary Culture. Julia Sherwood in Conversation with Ottilie Mulzet, Asymptote blog (Part I 15 March 2017 and Part II 27 March 2017)
- Review of Wioletta Greg’s “Swallowing Mercury” on Riveting Reviews, March 2017 (download the PDF of the print issue of “The Riveter” here)
- On Colonialism and Literature. A dispatch from the 2016 European Days of Literature on Asymptote blog (5 December 2016)
- In the Name of the Father, a preview of Balla’s novel, in Visegrad Insight 9/16
- A Kingdom of Souls, review of the English translation of a novel by Daniela Hodrová for Visegrad Insight 9/16
- Elena Ferrante in Slovak(ia): Julia Sherwood in conversation with Ivana Dobrakovová and Aňa Ostrihoňová, Asymptote blog, 25.2.2016
- The Seven Lives of Agneša Kalinová, an article for Visegrad Insight, 8/16
- European Days of Literature 2015: “The Migrants”. Julia Sherwood’s dispatch from an event organised by the European House of Literature in Wachau, Austria.
- Just the Facts a mini-interview with Julia Sherwood
- Translating the Literatures of Smaller European Nations, Julia Sherwood’s dispatch on a conference held in Bristol in September 2015
- London Translation Marathon, report on translation-related events around London BookFair 2015, on Asymptote blog, 23.4.2015
- Contemporary Women’s Writing in Slovakia Julia Sherwood’s introduction to the Slovak feature of Words Without Borders, February 2015
- A Beginner’s Guide to the Slovak Literary and Book Market, by Julia Sherwood, in Publishing Perspectives, 13.11.2013
- Dušan Taragel talks to Julia Sherwood about the list of Slovak books in English published in the US (in Slovak)
- Sioned Puw Rowlands interviews Julia and Peter Sherwood for Parthian Books’ the Talking Translation project
- The Slovak list Julia Sherwood introduces a new series of Slovak fiction launched by Seagull Books
- The English Are Still Afraid of Slovak Literature. Interview with Julia Sherwood, Slovak Spectator, 3 December 2019 (Slovak version here)
- Peter Sherwood on translating Antal Szerb in a double interview on Hungarian Literature Online, 10 January 2018.
- Magdalena Mullek and Julia Sherwood shine a spotlight on Slovak fiction, interview on the Words without Borders daily, 22 September 2017.
- Interview with Peter Sherwood on Hungarian Literature Online, March 2017
- Interview with Julia Sherwood in (Slovak) in the literary journal Romboid, May-June 2015: /šesť otázok/… pre prekladateľku Júliu Sherwood.
- interview with Julia Sherwood (in Slovak) in the daily Pravda, 16.07.2014
- interview with Julia Sherwood (in Slovak) in the daily SME, 20.02.2013
- Julia Sherwood on her writers (in English) on Writers and Translators
- double interview with writer Svetlana Žuchová on multikulti.sk (in Slovak)
Contemporary East and Central European women writers, online seminar organized by Columbia University’s Harriman Institute and featuring, among others, Julia and Peter Sherwood (introducing Ivana Dobrakovová)
Agneša Kalinová, My Seven Lives and more. Video presentation to launch the English-language publication
Central European Children’s Literature, Trends and Highlights (Julia Sherwood introducing Slovak children’s books)
Raising the Velvet Curtain: Slovak literature after 1989 (one-day conference hosted by UCL SSEES. Video report by Martina Šimkovičová’son Slovak Radio International – English, 2 December 2019
Raising the Velvet Curtain – video teaser (dir. Dominik Bari)
Interview (in Slovak) with Západoslovenská televízia on translating Slovak literature and the literary journal Asymptote.
2015 London Book Fair – panel on the Role of Literary Journals in Showcasing Literature in Translation
Samko Tále London book launch, January 2011
Peter Sherwood talks to Péter Esterházy in New York, March 2010 (from 5:24 minutes, after a reading from “Celestial Harmonies”)